Council houses on a £6 million estate in Midlothian are to be demolished after dangerous levels of carbon dioxide seeped through the floors.
Residents on Newbyres Crescent in Gorebridge were previously evacuated because of the high levels of the gas. It is believed it is emanating from old mining operations in the surrounding area. Unlike many houses nearby, the council homes were built without a protective layer under the floor.
At a special meeting of Midlothian Council yesterday, councillors voted to demolish the homes.
The problem first came to light when a family was rushed to hospital with suspected carbon dioxide poisoning. Last month, around 60 residents were told they had to move out for three months while the council assessed the problem.
Council leader Owen Thompson said safety of the residents was paramount.