DCSIMG

£8k vet bill for dog who ate raisins

Four year old labrador Charlie who suffered heart and kidney failure when he snaffled the raisins. Picture: TSPL

Four year old labrador Charlie who suffered heart and kidney failure when he snaffled the raisins. Picture: TSPL

A LABRADOR with a habit of eating anything he comes across ran up an £8000 vet bill for life-saving surgery at Edinburgh’s University’s Royal Dick Vet School – after he tucked into a packet of raisins.

Five-year-old Charlie is known for eating all sorts of food, sticks and even his family’s socks.

But trouble struck last week when he got his paws on a packet of raisins after jumping up onto a kitchen worktop.

His terrified owner then had to rush him to the vets where she was told to expect the worst.

Thankfully though the inquisitive pooch has bounced back and is in “great form”.

Louise Middleton – who ironically works as a dietician – said she was stunned when her pet dog bounced back from 
treatment.

She said: “Charlie almost died and the specialists at the Royal Dick did amazingly well to save him.

“But the bill for dialysis, surgery, scans, drugs and intensive care came to £8000.”

Charlie is still under observation at the veterinary centre but he is scheduled to be released soon with Louise’s daughter Katie, who lives in Kirkliston, excitedly awaiting his return.

Louise added: “He loves to pick up sticks but gets injured by splinters – at home we have to hide all the socks belonging to our children Katie and Ross because he eats those as well.”

The Royal Dick Vet School explained why Charlie nearly died from eating the raisins.

A spokeswoman said: “He developed kidney failure after eating raisins. Raisins, grapes, and currants can cause severe kidney failure in dogs.

“Initially, Charlie’s kidneys were not producing any urine at all so he was treated with peritoneal dialysis, allowing for clearance of toxic products normally cleared by the kidneys.

“After a few days of treatment, his kidneys began producing urine again. We are hopeful that his kidney function will continue to improve over time.

“He is a very sweet dog and has been a wonderful patient.

“Please keep raisins, currants and grapes away from dogs and if you’re not sure if your dog should be eating something then please check with your vet – there are many things that people can eat that are bad for dogs and cats.”

Dr Tracy Hill who carried out treatment on the lucky Labrador added: “He’s one very lucky boy – without the dialysis he would have died.

“But he’s in great form just one week later.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

UNMISSABLE SHOWS.
UNMISSABLE COVERAGE.
MAKE THE MOST OF THE FESTIVAL
(BEFORE YOU MISS IT)

#WOWFEST

In partnership with

Complete coverage of the festivals. Guides. Reviews. Listings. Offers

Lets Go!

No Thanks