FIREARMS have been seized from a flat in Niddrie by the bomb squad flanked by armed police officers.
Seven police units stormed the property on Niddrie House Drive as neighbours were ordered to remain indoors until the operation concluded.
It is understood one man was later removed from the flat with plastic bags covering his hands.
Police confirmed officers had discovered “items believed to be firearms” following the dawn raid.
Residents told how they were kept indoors as officers raced up the stairwell and into a flat.
One woman told how her daughter-in-law, who has newborn twins, was shocked to find armed officers banging on her door shortly after 7am.
“One of the twins is in the Sick Kids so she was going to go see him,” she said.
“But the police would not let her out of the house and an armed response officer was standing outside her door.”
And she said that the dramatic raid had been “frightening” for children living in the stairwell because of the number of armed police officers.
“They all had their guns out and they know the street is full of kids but they didn’t try to cover them,” she said.
The police presence was scaled down by around 3.30pm but five officers stood guard outside the property late into the evening.
It is thought the operation fully concluded at around 8pm last night – 13 hours after it was launched.
A police spokesman said: “Following a search of an address in Niddrie House Drive on Thursday July 10, police discovered items believed to be firearms.
“The EOD have been contacted to assess the objects and ensure they are made safe.
“There is no evidence to suggest any risk to the public and enquiries are ongoing.”
A Ministry of Defence spokesman confirmed they had attended a “routine job” which had not been classed as an emergency.