TRAM works in the West End came to a halt yesterday after contractors damaged a gas pipe.
Workers were forced to down tools in West Maitland Street following the incident at around 3.30pm.
Gas experts rushed to the scene to carry out a temporary repair on the five-inch wide main as a strong smell of gas lingered in the air. Engineers are due to complete the repair today. No disruption was reported, but tram workers were stationed around the scene asking smokers to stub out cigarettes.
Passer-by Alison Adamson-Ross said: “I’d lit up a cigarette and the workmen shouted at me to put it out because they’d hit a gas main.”
A spokeswoman for Scotland Gas Networks said: “Our engineers were able to carry out a temporary repair to make the situation safe.”
Tram shop axed – Page 17