Choke hazard warning over latest bling for tots craze

Bling baby. Montage:  Dave Hamburgh
Bling baby. Montage: Dave Hamburgh
1
Have your say

SOME mums love nothing more than dressing their little girls in all things pink and sparkly – and buying them accessories to match.

But parents across the city are being warned about the dangers posed by a new “baby bling” craze, which risks choking babies and young toddlers.

The recent fad involves customising dummies, feeding equipment, shoes and sunglasses with small brightly coloured imitation gems.

These can pose a serious risk, as the gems can easily come loose and be swallowed or inhaled.

Another danger comes from the glue used to attach the gems, which can soften when the item is sterilised and may also be toxic or harmful. This can lead to the gems becoming detached in clumps, therefore creating a further choking 
hazard.

Trading Standards 
officers from the city council have issued an alert regarding bling products following a complaint from a member of the public.

It is believed the sparkly items are being made by people working from home, who may not be aware of the strict safety rules for children’s goods.

Mother-of-three Elaine Allan, who runs baby sensory classes in Edinburgh and West Lothian, said she had come across a number of Facebook pages selling baby bling goods.

The 50-year-old said: “I haven’t seen a great deal of it in the sensory classes but I have seen lots of different Facebook sites with pages showing that kind of thing for sale, like decorated dummies with little gems, which are really dangerous.

“Anything at all that they lift, babies will put in their mouth – it’s their way of exploring – and some mums don’t think for a minute that these gems could come away, but if they do, they would be devastated if their baby swallowed it.

“These products won’t have passed any safety tests to make sure they are safe for babies.

“I can see that they’re all pretty and why mums would be attracted to them, but babies are gorgeous enough without bling.

“In this instance, parents should definitely take heed of what the council is saying because if something untoward was to happen, the parents would feel absolutely terrible.”

It is thought that people often buy the original products on the high street, or online, and then decorate them at home.

The recent craze has been to sell the bling items – ranging from dummies decorated with brightly coloured gems to baby bottles adorned with Swarovski crystals – to family and friends.

City environment leader Lesley Hinds said: “Our advice to parents is not to use any of these so-called ‘bling’ items as they could harm your baby or toddler.

“We would also advise anyone who is producing these items from their own home to stop doing so as they are unsafe and do not comply with strict safety regulations.”

How much!?!?!?

Personalised pink bling onesie.................................. £12

Bling Converse........................................................... £50

Baby boy or girl leather Swarovski shoes............. £80

Diamonds and pearls bangle................................... £60

Leopard baby bling bottle keepsake.................... £175

Chanel dummy clip with Swarovski crystal.............. £9

Crystal bow headband.................................................. £7