Court told nightclub worker hit in face with bottle

Elliot Buendia-Diaz. Picture: TSPL

Elliot Buendia-Diaz. Picture: TSPL

3
Have your say

A NIGHTCLUB worker was smashed in the face with a bottle by a man after trying to intervene in an argument, a court has heard.

Elliot Buendia-Diaz was left with a slashed eyelid and lip in the attack at the Castle Club in Queensferry Street Lane.

The 21-year-old was running a hip-hop night at the club when he was assaulted on December 16.

Mr Buendia-Diaz took to the witness stand yesterday at Edinburgh Sheriff Court on the first day of the trial of David Togher, who is accused of carrying out the attack.

Togher, 27, denies striking the victim with a bottle to his severe injury and permanent disfigurement, and has lodged a special defence that he was not in the club at the time of the incident.

The jury heard that the attack took place at around 3.07am, as the club night ended.

Giving evidence under questioning from depute fiscal Susan Dickson, Mr Buendia-Diaz said: “I was right at the door just before you approach the stairs. There was an argument between Sadie and a guy. Sadie is my sister’s friend. I heard the argument and turned round.

“I didn’t know the guy. I had never met him before. I approached both of them. I wanted to take Sadie away and try to defuse the situation if there was a situation.

“I asked if everything was OK and the male said ‘Everything is all right’. I was a couple of inches away from him. I turned towards Sadie to ask if she was ready to leave and, before I had the chance to turn round, I was pulled back and then a bottle was smashed in my face.

“The power of the bottle made me topple back into the wall. The male had been holding the bottle when we were speaking.”

Mr Buendia-Diaz identified Togher, described in court as a prisoner at Barlinnie jail in Glasgow, in the dock as the man who attacked him.

Mr Buendia-Diaz said that police officers had interviewed him a few days after the assault when he picked out a photograph of Togher from a line-up.

He told the jury: “I was shown 12 pictures of suspects. I chose one I believed matched the description of the male who attacked me. I was 95 per cent sure.”

The jury heard that Mr Buendia-Diaz was treated for his injuries in hospital. He had suffered lacerations to his upper eyelid and upper lip.

The trial was set to continue today before Sheriff James Scott.