Conman who went on run back in court

Kenneth Tait went on the run from Castle Huntly prison. Picture: Comp

Kenneth Tait went on the run from Castle Huntly prison. Picture: Comp

0
Have your say

A notorious conman who went on the run from prison just days before he was due to be released was back in court yesterday.

The Evening News revealed last month that Kenneth Tait from the Capital had been spotted at Craigleith Retail Park after going on the run from Castle Huntly prison.

Tait, 47, who was jailed for six years after being found guilty of conning vulnerable women out of hundreds of thousands of pounds, was recaptured in the city on Saturday.

He was due to be released after serving just two years on July 4 but failed to return after being granted home leave on June 26 and spent three weeks on the run.

His solicitor told Perth Sheriff Court yesterday that up until then Tait had been a “model prisoner”. He said he had been threatened in prison and was afraid to return.

Sheriff John Rafferty deferred sentence for background reports.