A MAN was left lying in a pool of blood when he was repeatedly stabbed by a youth who was defying a curfew order.
A court heard how Connor Reid, 20, almost died from the wounds inflicted by Dylan Thomas following a row at the Morrison’s petrol station on Portobello Road.
The initial stages of the fight were captured on CCTV, judge Lord Bannatyne was told.
Labourer Thomas, 20, was trying to protect his dad - who had been brought from a nearby pub to try to defuse the situation, said defence QC John Scott, asking for leniency.
Caging Thomas for the attack for four years at the High Court in Edinburgh today Lord Bannatyne told him: “This, on any view, was a very serious offence.
“You had taken out with you the knife and thereafter used the knife repeatedly. The results of your assault were, on any view, serious.”
Just five days earlier, Thomas had been freed on bail, accused of assault and robbery - on condition that he stayed off the streets at night.
An ambulance found Mr Reid him, barely conscious, bleeding and having difficulty breathing, as police gave first aid.
Paramedics said his injuries were “life-threatening” and once in hospital he needed emergency surgery.
Thomas, of Piershill Terrace, who had previous convictions for violence, halted a planned trial by admitting a serious assault on Mr Reid on April 27.
Lord Bannatyne also made an order extending Thomas’ licence conditions for a further year after his sentence of detention because background reports had branded him a high risk.