Rapist soldier faces jail over sex assaults

Shaun Jewiss has been found guilty. Picture: Comp
Shaun Jewiss has been found guilty. Picture: Comp
0
Have your say

A FORMER soldier who trawled dating websites in search of “kinky” sex is facing jail after being convicted of rape.

Shaun Jewiss, 41, was found guilty of two counts of rape and one of sexual assault at the High Court in Livingston – after a jury heard how he attacked one woman while her children were in the next room.

Judge Lady Scott told Jewiss, from Loanhead, that his name would be added to the sex offenders register.

She said: “I’m required by law to get background reports from the criminal justice social work department before I can sentence you. Inevitably you’ll be facing a serious prison sentence for offences such as these.”

Over the nine-day trial, a jury heard how Jewiss – who is originally from Dumfries but later moved to Midlothian – was in a relationship with one of the victims when he 
subjected her to repeated attacks between 2010 and 2011.

His second victim was a 48-year-old Edinburgh supermarket worker he met on the online dating site Badoo.

The woman, giving evidence from behind a screen, told how he made a video recording of the sex session in her bedroom during which he raped her while her grown-up children were in the next room.

Jewiss was found not guilty of raping a further four women, one of whom had learning difficulties. He was also cleared of three assaults and two charges of voyeurism.

The chef turned undertaker, who served in the army for 22 years, claimed the women knew they were meeting him for kinky sex and consented fully to what happened.

Giving evidence in his own defence, Jewiss admitted he had streamed some of his sex sessions “live” over the internet so strangers could watch.

He also said he and two of his alleged victims stripped for each other during online video chats.

And he revealed he had secret files on his computer hard drive which contained pornographic images and videos of the women he met online and with whom he filmed himself having sex.

Jewiss, who has been on remand since August 16 last year, will be sentenced at the High Court in Glasgow on April 16.

Turning to the jury after yesterday’s verdict was announced, Lady Scott said: “I recognise that this has been a particularly difficult case due to the nature of the evidence which you may have found distressing.

“I’m going to order that you will not have to sit on a jury again.

“I don’t know what else you’ll take away from this experience, but I hope you’ll take away the satisfaction that you have made a very important contribution.”

Police Scotland said that a “dangerous man” had been taken off the streets.

Senior investigating officer Detective Inspector John Anderson said: “Without doubt he represents a clear risk to women living in Scotland.

“Police Scotland has consistently said that rape and domestic abuse will be given the very highest priority and this conviction is a direct result of that commitment.

“This successful outcome would not have been possible without experienced and highly skilled detectives working together across Scotland and adopting a proactive approach to policing in order to identify his victims and bring him before the courts.

“This has been an excellent example of specialist resources of Police Scotland working together and with the Crown Office to bring a dangerous man before the courts and to keep people safe.

“Victims often suffer in silence, however they should take confidence in outcomes such as this case and be assured that no matter how long ago these crimes are committed, Police Scotland will listen to them and be relentless in our desire to bring offenders to justice.”