TRON Kirk is set to become a Fringe venue for the first time this August after a deal was struck with drinks giant Drambuie to lease the A-listed building.
The 17th-century landmark – which will be fitted with a temporary cocktail and cafe-bar – will be opened to the public during the day and host festival shows in the evening, it was reported today.
It is thought the venture will be promoted as a “return home” for the famous whisky liqueur, which was first made in Edinburgh in 1910, but is now produced and bottled in Glasgow.
Around 60,000 will be spent by Drambuie on temporary flooring to protect the only known remains of Marlin’s Wynd, which used to link the Royal Mile to the Cowgate.
The kirk was last used as a church in 1952.