Curry contest shown red card by Sick Kids charity

Kismot chef Abdul Ali and Falcon Thistle boss James Millar tuck into poppadoms instead. Picture: contributed
Kismot chef Abdul Ali and Falcon Thistle boss James Millar tuck into poppadoms instead. Picture: contributed
4
Have your say

FOOTBALLERS getting all fired up for a charity curry- eating competition have cried foul after it was banned by health bosses.

Players from amateur football team Falcon Thistle FC hoped to raise thousands for the city’s Sick Kids hospital by eating a fiery dish dubbed the Kismot Killer.

But the Sick Kids Friends Foundation (SKFF) refused to have anything to do with the contest because of the curry’s reputation for putting people in hospital.

Instead, the challenge has been “downgraded” to a poppadom eating contest.

Edinburgh University student Curie Kim, who came second in the 2011 eating contest, had to be taken by ambulance to the ERI twice in a matter of hours after sampling the Kismot Killer, and said eating it was like “being chainsawed in the stomach with hot sauce on the chainsaw”.

The competition later came under fire from ambulance chiefs and community leaders, with Councillor Gordon Mackenzie branding the event a “shambles”.

But despite its fearsome reputation, around 20 Thistle players had been willing to take the pain for charity and had even been training to help them down bowls of the incendiary curry against the clock.

The curry is packed with Ghost and Jolokia peppers, which are among the hottest in the world.

Organisers of this event, at the Kismot curry house, in St Leonard’s Street, have been told to substitute poppadoms for eye-watering curry to stop contestants getting hurt – or the hospital charity will pull out of the event.

Tuesday’s event, which should have crowned the club’s “Curry King” has now been renamed “Pop a poppadom for the Sick Kids”.

Thistle manager James Millar said: “We’re disappointed. We all like a good eat and the team were all for trying it.

“We’re going to have to tell people it’s not for eating curry anymore, it’s for poppadoms.”

Kismot chef Abdul Ali said: “The footballers are very, very upset – they were up for doing a Killer challenge [and] were hoping to challenge each other.

“They had been training all week for it, they have been eating chillis for breakfast.”

A spokeswoman for the SKFF said: “Safety is always our prime concern when organising or supporting fundraising events.

“We have decided to err on the side of caution and we are delighted that Kismot has found an alternative way to support us. We are appreciative to everyone who has pledged to take part.”

Last year’s Kismot Killer competition passed off without incident after doctors were brought in to monitor the health of those taking part, with 23-year-old Paul Jeffrey being crowned the winner.

Entrants also agreed to background checks and had to sign a disclaimer before taking part in the competition.

Going in for the Killer

It’s hotter than a vindaloo, causes profuse sweating and requires you to sign a medical disclaimer before it even touches your lips.

The bloody red and brown Kismot Killer is packed with a selection of the world’s hottest peppers and chillies, containing an “undisclosed amount” of naga – officially the world’s hottest pepper in the Guinness Book of Records – and hot chillies from Africa and South Asia.

Part of the disclaimer states: “Kismot restaurant will take no responsibility for your bodily functions after you eat the curry. If you die whilst eating or as a direct result of eating the curry, members of the table will share the cost of your Kismot Killer.”