Dad’s tribute as Commonwealth baton teen dies

Kyle Wood with dad Scott. Picture: Comp

Kyle Wood with dad Scott. Picture: Comp

6
Have your say

A TEENAGE sports fan has died in his sleep just days after being selected as a baton ­carrier for the Commonwealth Games.

Kyle Wood, 14, was found dead on Monday morning after suffering a suspected seizure in his home in Tranent, East Lothian.

Kyle due to carry baton

Kyle due to carry baton

It is understood the 14-year-old suffered from ­epilepsy.

His father, Scott, said the family had been left “numb” by the tragedy while Glasgow 2014 chief David Grevemberg offered his condolences.

The shock news comes just six days after the Ross High School pupil learned he was one of 4000 people selected to take part in the baton relay ahead of the Commonwealth Games.

A devoted Hearts fan and keen cyclist, Kyle was also said to love music. He sang with the school choir and had recently taken up the trumpet.

But he was also a sporting “all-rounder” and a keen footballer who was involved with disability athletics club Lothian Leopards. He also helped train Hearts FC under-13s girls where his father was a coach.

Devastated dad Scott, 38, described Kyle’s death as a “massive loss to our lives”. He said: “Kyle was the type of boy that brought a smile to everyone’s face and he made people laugh.

“We are left with very fond memories.

“He absolutely loved sports and was delighted when he found out that he had been selected to be a baton bearer.

“As soon as he knew he told everybody that he had been picked and that he was going to do it.

“He was really excited and the whole ­family was really proud when we found out.”

Mr Wood, a contract manager, previously took to social media beaming with pride about his son’s selection for the Commonwealth Games baton relay. He tweeted: “So proud of my wee man getting chosen to carry the Commonwealth Games baton.

“He is so excited to have been chosen. Well done Kyle.”

His delighted mum Susanne, 38, and big sister Kai, 15, were also delighted he’d been chosen for the honour.

Police Scotland said there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death.

Mr Grevemberg, chief executive of Glasgow 2014, paid tribute to Kyle.

He said: “Our thoughts are with Kyle’s ­family at this ­difficult time, and on behalf of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games we offer our heartfelt ­condolences.”

Paul Reynolds, headteacher of Ross High School, said: “Kyle was a great boy and very well-known and liked across the school.

“He was an all-rounder but particularly enjoyed sport.

“He was a keen footballer and had been chosen to carry the Queen’s Baton through his home town of Tranent.

“A much-deserved honour.

“He made a big contribution to the life of Ross High School.

“Kyle will be sadly missed and I would like his family and friends to know that we send them our deepest sympathies. Things won’t be the same without him.”

The baton, which tours the Commonwealth nations, enters the country on June 17 as part of its trip around Scotland. The East Lothian leg of the journey begins in Musselburgh and ends in Haddington, with Kyle scheduled to have carried the baton on the part of the route.