Driver admits causing M8 death crash but faces trial

The aftermath of the accident.

The aftermath of the accident.

A DRIVER has admitted causing the death of another motorist in a crash on Scotland’s busiest motorway.

Alexander Cassidy is said to have struck Wayne Strickland on the M8 near Livingston in July last year.

Cassidy yesterday faced a charge of causing the 49-year-old’s death by dangerous driving.

The 29-year-old entered a guilty plea to a reduced charge, of causing the incident due to driving without due care and attention.

But prosecutor Lynsey MacDonald told the High Court in Glasgow: “That plea is not acceptable.”

Cassidy, of Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire, will now stand trial in March next year.

It is alleged Cassidy drove a van dangerously and at “excessive speed” for the conditions on the westbound M8 on July 20 last year.

He is accused of not observing slow or stationary traffic before hitting the back of Mr Strickland’s vehicle.

This is said to have caused Mr Strickland’s car to strike a third vehicle, which went into the rear of a lorry.

The indictment states Mr Strickland, of Inverkeithing was so severely injured that he died.

The dad was a business adviser with West Lothian Council at the time of his death.

Cassidy is due to stand trial on March 14 in Livingston. The case could last up to five days.