A GUNMAN who opened fire on a family home containing a woman and teenage boy is believed to have shot at the wrong house.
Police are conducting high-visibility patrols in an attempt to “reassure the community” after shots were fired at the house in Drum Brae Terrace late on Friday night.
No-one is reported to have been injured in the incident –which damaged a window in the property – but it is believed that a teenage boy, a man and a woman were inside the house at the time.
This is the fourth shooting in the Capital in the last month, as police have linked two drive-by shootings in the Gilmerton area on September 20 with another firearms incident in Fernieside Avenue, Moredun, two weeks earlier.
It is believed the gunman may have fired on the wrong property and the intended target was in fact gangland enforcer Don Webley, who lives nearby.
Webley, 31, was the first person ever to be banned from every nightclub in Edinburgh for life.
He was barred under the U-night scheme in 2008 after an assault on drug dealer James Carlin outside the City nightclub in Market Street.
Webley was previously jailed for throwing a petrol bomb at staff outside the Revolution nightclub in 2003.
He was later handed an eight-month prison sentence for threatening door staff at Time nightclub in Frederick Street.
Scotland’s most wanted man, Jonathan Kelly, has been linked with the shooting which occurred just 24 hours after police in Glasgow appealed for the fugitive to turn himself in.
The 34-year-old, from Drumchapel, has a violent record and has been on the run for a month since breaching his licence on release from prison.
He is believed to be hiding somewhere in the Edinburgh.
Detective Superintendent Stevie Grant, of Greater Glasgow Division CID, urged anyone who might be harbouring Kelly to give him up to police.
He said: “Consider the additional pressure harbouring Mr Kelly will place on you and your family as time goes on, and you come to the attention of the police.”
Witnesses are urged to come forward with information about the latest “reckless and dangerous” incident. Police would like to speak to a man in a light-coloured top and black jogging bottoms who was seen in the area around that time.
A car was also spotted being driven off the road and on to a grassy area nearby.
Chief Inspector Bob Paris said: “People in the Drumbrae area are understandably concerned following the incident on Friday evening.
“We have a dedicated team carrying out inquiries and we are monitoring the situation closely.
“Police Scotland will not tolerate such reckless and dangerous acts within our communities.
“We are continuing high visibility patrols around Drumbrae as well as carrying out door-to-door inquiries.”
Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 5551111.