Edinburgh Fringe chemical scare ‘caused by vinegar’

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said one woman was treated at the scene. Picture: Tony Marsh
Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said one woman was treated at the scene. Picture: Tony Marsh
0
Have your say

A FRINGE venue in the city centre was swamped by fire crews after reports of a chemical incident.

Seven crews responded to what was initially described as a “chemical incident” at the SpaceCabaret bar on North Bridge at 11.50pm yesterday.

Concerns had been raised after a prop broke during a prominade show, spilling an unknown substance onto a performer’s toe.

Emergency services responded to the scare, but it was quickly established that the liquid was not a cause for concern.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said one woman had been seen by ambulance crews for irritation to her feet.

She added: “Fire crews wearing breathing apparatus absorbed the spillage and made the scene safe.”

Charles Hamment, director of Space UK, said that the audience had left by the time the incident was reported and that the female performer had driven home following the spill.

“It was a mix a water and vinegar that had been in a bottle for a few years,” he said. “There was never any chemical. One of the cast took it upon themselves to call the emergency services.”

He added that all props had been properly risk assessed prior to the show.