Student hurt in chemical ‘incident’ at University

The chemical scare happened at the King's Buildings. Pic: File
The chemical scare happened at the King's Buildings. Pic: File
0
Have your say

A man has been taken to hospital with facial injuries following a chemical “eruption” at Edinburgh University this morning.

The incident happened in a second floor laboratory in the Waddington Building at the King’s Building complex on Mayfield Road at around 11.30am.

A spokesman for the University of Edinburgh said: “An incident took place at King’s Buildings this morning when a student poured benzyl bromide into a beaker which he thought was dry. As there was moisture in the beaker, the chemical reacted and splashed the student’s face.

“The student had followed all appropriate health and safety procedures and was wearing a lab coat and goggles. First aid was administered at the scene, and the student was then taken to hospital for treatment. No other staff or students were placed at risk.”

Benzyl bromide is a colourless organic compound, which is intensely irritating to skin and mucus membrane.

A spokeswoman from the fire service said: “A male casualty was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary suffering from irritation to their face.”

It is understood that the chemicals involved have now been made safe and the lab is being cleaned. Seven appliances and roughly 20 firefighters attended the scene.