TWO wooden dragons, carved by the son of 19th century town planner Sir Patrick Geddes, have been restored to their original splendour at Wardrop’s Court, off the Lawnmarket.
And Sir Patrick’s granddaughter, Claire Geddes, was there to inspect them. She had urged Edinburgh’s World Heritage Trust to restore the dragons after noticing they had deteriorated.
They were carved from Scots pine by her father, Arthur, in 1911 when he was 16. Specialist wood craftsman John McRitchie had to put back missing teeth and part of the tails and wings with help from volunteer conservators James Muldoon and Georgina Vanhof.