Family left overwhelmed by response to house fire

The blaze left the Hutchison Terrace home completely wrecked. Picture: Ian Georgeson

The blaze left the Hutchison Terrace home completely wrecked. Picture: Ian Georgeson

2
Have your say

A FAMILY which lost everything after their home was gutted in a fire has been “overwhelmed” by the response from the local community.

Lesley and Paul Ramage have been inundated with offers of help after the blaze tore through their property in Hutchison Terrace last 
Thursday.

Children Kayla, 11, Luke, nine, and Drew, seven, were devastated by the death of their cat which could not escape. The inferno also destroyed their Christmas presents.

Now dozens of well-wishers have offered donations ranging from toys to clothing while the family stays in temporary accommodation at a Murrayfield hotel.

Derek Law, headteacher of Craiglockhart Primary, where all three youngsters attend, said the school was endeavouring to make their return this week “as normal as possible”.

He said: “The Ramages are a lovely family and they have been amazingly resilient and are working hard to build their lives together again.

“The local community has really rallied around to support them. The family has received so many practical offers and kind tokens of support from friends and neighbours, it has really been amazing.

“The school will do everything it can to make their return as normal as possible. We will also be appealing to our school community and will put together a wee collection for the children just to get them a wee something to let them know we care.”

The blaze, which may have been caused by an electrical fault, raged for several hours, damaging neighbouring properties while dozens of firefighters battled to get it under control.

Local Green councillor Gavin Corbett, whose son is a classmate of Luke, said he had been overwhelmed by people asking how they could help.

He said: “One of the very faint silver linings on the dark cloud of an event like this is the way friends and neighbours respond.

“I’ve had lots of people come to me and the family in the upper flat where the fire started, offering all sorts of practical help from school uniforms to personal items and advice on how best to cope with losing a home and all 
possessions.”

kate.pickles@edinburghnews.com