A drum of nitric acid has been found in a communal bin store in Wester Hailes.
A spokeswoman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service confirmed they were called to the incident, on Harvesters Place, at 5.20pm.
Three fire engines attended the scene with firefighters using specialist breathing apparatus and gas suits to enter the bin store.
The spokeswoman said: “The drum was almost empty and we are currently liaising with the police to dispose of the drum.”
They also confirmed there were no causalities and that they left the scene at 6.12pm.
Police Scotland confirmed they have attended the scene.