MSP in home alarms bid

0
Have your say

LOTHIANS Labour MSP Kezia Dugdale today called for a change in the law to require carbon monoxide alarms to be fitted in all new homes and rented properties across Scotland.

Since 2008, 17 people in Scotland have died from carbon monoxide poisoning and a further 28 have been treated in hospital. Incorrectly fitted boilers, heaters and fires or blocked vents are often to blame. Ms Dugdale’s call came as US couple, Ken and Kim Hanson, whose daughter died from carbon monoxide poisoning, visited the Scottish Parliament. They successfully campaigned in New York State for what is known as Amanda’s Law, which makes the fitting of carbon monoxide alarms in all homes compulsory.

Ms Dugdale has lodged a motion at Holyrood calling for a similar move for homes here.