Salmonella scare at Sick Kids

The three-year-old is at Sick Kids. Picture: Cate Gillon
The three-year-old is at Sick Kids. Picture: Cate Gillon
0
Have your say

A THREE-year-old girl is fighting for her life after contracting the potentially deadly salmonella bug at Edinburgh’s Sick Kids hospital.

It’s believed the youngster got the bug while being fed milk and water through a tube in the hospital’s high dependency unit.

Hospital bosses are understood to have withdrawn feeding tubes and sterile milk for testing as a precaution.

The youngster, from Alva, near Stirling, was rushed to hospital after going into respiratory arrest.

NHS Lothian has confirmed a tube-fed patient has 
contracted the bug and that 
it is doing everything possible to prevent the spread of infection.

A spokesperson at the hospital said that it was “extremely rare” for this type of infection to be acquired in hospital and that the matter was being treated “very seriously”.

She added that staff were working very closely with infection control and dietetic teams to identify the source of the outbreak, which was an “isolated case”.