Hibs striker Rowan Vine admits driving charge

Rowan Vine admitted the charges: Pic: Phil Wilkinson
Rowan Vine admitted the charges: Pic: Phil Wilkinson
0
Have your say

HIBS striker Rowan Vine today admitted driving through a red light while he was using his mobile phone.

The striker had sentence deferred after telling the court he had six points on his licence already - but did not know why.

Vine said his mother had told him he had points imposed by a court in Bolton, but the footballer said he had no recollection of being in the Lancashire town.

Sheriff Fiona Tait put the case off to allow the Hibs forward a chance to investigate the existing points, which are understood to have been imposed for failing to say who was driving his car at the time.

At Perth Sheriff Court, Vine, 30, admitted that on February 1 this year he failed to to stop at a red light and drove his Mercedes C250 in Dunkeld Road, Perth, while using his phone.

Solicitor Cliff Culley, defending, said: “There are six points on his licence for an offence I believe is failing to provide details of the driver, which he didn’t know anything about.

“He has been at three or four different addresses over the last year. The court which dealt with that was in Bolton and he has no recollection of being in that area. We want to investigate that.”

Vine scored seven goals in 30 appearances last season for St Johnstone after joining the Perth club from Queens Park Rangers. He was signed by Hibs shortly before the Europa League transfer deadline this summer and has started six matches so far this season. He has previously played for a host of English league clubs including Portsmouth, Gillingham, MK Dons, Luton and Hull City.