Homes were evacuated today after a “minor” fire in a restaurant kitchen in Edinburgh’s Old Town.
Almost 20 firefighters were called to the Blackfriars Restaurant in Blackfriars Street, just off the Cowgate, at 11.15am.
The incident kicked off after a “smouldering piece of wood” was found behind metal cladding in the kitchen, and firefighters removed appliances in order to get to the blaze and stop it from spreading.
The four storeys of flats above the restaurant were evacuated as a precaution.
The incident was scaled down by 2pm.
Blackfriars bar is continuing to trade as normal however the restaurant is closed in order for repair work to be carried out.