Hungry Jack’s cries averted electric blanket fire disaster

Harriet Fulford with baby Jack
Harriet Fulford with baby Jack
0
Have your say

A MOTHER has told how the cries of her newborn son helped to avert what could have been a deadly fire.

Harriet Fulford, 40, discovered a faulty electric blanket smouldering just feet away from five-month-old Jack, whose hunger sobs were picked up on a baby monitor and drew her to the danger in an incredible quirk of good fortune.

She has given her backing to a national safety drive to warn householders of the potential dangers in their properties.

The blanket on the bed had partially set the mattress on fire last month, causing smoke to fill the bedroom, but Ms Fulford extinguished the fire before it could take hold. Jack was treated in Edinburgh Royal Infirmary for smoke inhalation and has made a full recovery.

The mother-of-two, from Newington, was speaking about her experiences as she helped launch a campaign yesterday urging city residents to protect their homes against fire.

She said: “We had a very lucky escape and you never think it’s going to happen to you.

“Hopefully my experience will encourage people to give some thought to the importance of having a working smoke alarm in their home and an escape plan if the worst happens. That’s why I’m backing the national campaign to make people aware that the fire and rescue service can help you by fitting a free smoke detector as part of their free home fire safety visits.”

As part of the nationwide campaign, the contents of a burnt-out living room will be touring shopping centres to warn about the dangers of fire, with local firefighters on hand to offer safety advice.

The tour will visit Morrisons in Granton Road today, Cameron Toll Shopping Centre tomorrow and Jarnac Court, Dalkeith, on Friday.

David Lockhart, community safety manager at Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service, said: “These events give us an opportunity to engage with the public and talk to them about fire safety.

“We want every home to have a working smoke alarm.”

He added: “It’s simple and free to do, test it every week and give yourself and your family the best protection against fire.”