Illegal Portobello beach rave chiefs hint at return

Police were concerned about numbers flocking to Portobello beach. Picture: Ian Georgeson

Police were concerned about numbers flocking to Portobello beach. Picture: Ian Georgeson

22
Have your say

AN ILLEGAL rave expected to attract thousands of revellers to Portobello beach has been cancelled by organisers, but they have hinted that they may make another attempt.

More than 3000 people had signed up to attend the summer party on Facebook despite police warnings the event was unlicensed and did not have permission to go ahead.

3000 people had signed up to party on Portobello beach. Picture: Ian Georgeson

3000 people had signed up to party on Portobello beach. Picture: Ian Georgeson

But now BPM Event Management, which was behind the party, said: “We are determined and motivated to take all necessary actions to get it right, if not this year then the next one.”

The firm called a halt to the plans – admitting it had “run out of time” to apply for the required permit.

The move comes after BPM head Bartosz Mitura pledged earlier this week he would do everything in his power to help make the event a success despite opposition from police and council officials.

The entrepreneur told the Evening News the party, set for July 15, was initially meant to be a small affair for family and friends before it unexpectedly blew up on Facebook, adding: “I’m trying to do my best – if I’m concerned about public safety we won’t go ahead.”

But on Wednesday city chiefs urged locals not to attend – insisting obtaining a licence was “essential” for public safety.

And a statement from police said officers would be monitoring the area on the day of the party to “engage with members of the public and address any issues which may arise.”

It is understood Mr Mitura met with licencing officials yesterday morning, where he agreed to cancel the event after concerns were raised over safety.

A spokesman for BPM Event Management said: “We would like to announce that the Beach Party is officially cancelled due to circumstances beyond our control.

“The BPM Event Management team have put in a huge amount of effort and time over the past few week, with our team doing everything within our power to make it happen.

“Unfortunately this week we have run out of time to gain the required licences and permits that are needed upfront before the event.

“The BPM EM team would like to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.

“We regrettably have had too many concerns regarding public safety caused by unexpected and exceptional response to our event. It was the BPM EM decision, rather than the local authority’s to cancel the party.

“We would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone, we are thrilled from your support and the BPM EM team would like to assure that we are determined and motivated to take all necessary actions to get it right, if not this year then the next one.”

A council spokeswoman said: “We have now met with the event organiser, who has decided to cancel the beach party. We understand that his intention was to hold a small gathering and that after being shared on social media the number of people planning to attend became unmanageably large.

“Events such as a this require a public entertainment licence to ensure public safety. We would strongly advise people to avoid unlicensed events for their own safety.”