Jie speaks for first time since stabbing

Jie Yu had been unable to talk after being stabbed in the stomach and neck in Pilton. Picture: contributed
Jie Yu had been unable to talk after being stabbed in the stomach and neck in Pilton. Picture: contributed
0
Have your say

A TAKEAWAY owner who was the victim of a horrific stabbing has spoken for the first time since the attack.

Jie Yu had his neck slashed and suffered stomach injuries just minutes after his car was stolen from outside his Chinese restaurant in Pilton.

He was rushed to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary after last Wednesday’s incident.

Mr Yu, 37, was left unable to speak due to the neck injury, but managed to communicate with his wife, Mae, by writing notes.

But in a major recovery milestone, he has now regained his speech and has been chatting to Mae, who has been at his bedside round the clock.

The father-of-three – also known as Jack – has been in St John’s Hospital in Livingston since Sunday, where he has been treated by specialists.

His best friend, Gavin Yao, said he was relieved that Mr Yu was on the mend after the shocking attack.

Mr Yao said: “I spoke to Jie, everything is getting better. He tried to speak to me as much as he could.”

The close-knit Pilton 
community has rallied around since Mr Yu’s attack, with residents hoping to pool funds for a “get well” gesture.

Willie Black, secretary of West Pilton and West Granton Community Council, said neighbours had been left horrified by the incident, but they were keen to support Mr Yu and his family as his recovery continues.

He said: “We will endeavour to have a community response for Jie, a get well message.”

Mr Black is a volunteer on the Living in Harmony forum, part of the Pilton Community Health Project, which aims to forge closer links and friendship between different ethnic and cultural groups in the area.

He said he wanted to reassure minority groups living in the area that residents “are with them”.

He added: “Our community is quite diverse in terms of nationality.”

Mr and Mrs Yu’s two children, who attend Davidson’s Mains Primary, are still being looked after by family friends at their home.

Staff from the Peking Garden takeaway, in Ferry Road Drive, have also been supporting the family.

Councillor Cammy Day, who represents Forth ward, said he was heartened by the community support for the family.

He said: “I want to make sure the family gets back as soon as possible. I know Mrs Yu is a bit concerned about returning to the community, but everyone is saying ‘let’s do everything to support the family’.

“As much as the horrific act is shocking, there is a knock-on effect on the two young children and the family-run business. I’m really pleased to hear that the local community is keen to support them.”

Three men appeared in court this week charged with attempted murder in connection with the attack on Mr Yu.

kaye.nicolson@edinburghnews.com