Jimmy Savile victims told to claim compensation

0
Have your say

VICTIMS who were sexually abused by Jimmy Savile are being invited to seek compensation from his estate.

Newspaper advertisements were published today telling people who claim they were targeted by the television presenter how to apply for a share of the money he left.

Around 140 people have come forward to say they were abused by the DJ and entertainer, who died in October 2011 aged 84.

The compensation scheme was approved following a ruling at the High Court in February.

Mr Justice Sales sanctioned the scheme after agreement between NatWest, the executor of Savile’s estate, lawyers representing Savile’s alleged victims, the NHS and the BBC.

He described the compensation scheme as a ‘’sensible and pragmatic’’ attempt at solving a ‘’complex situation’’, and also approved the publishing of the newspaper advertisements.

The adverts advise people who wish to make a claim for sexual assault by Savile to do so within the next six weeks, by June 3.

The claim scheme will be open for a year, within which it is hoped all claims will be paid, the adverts say. Payments will be capped at £60,000 each, the BBC said.

Lawyers initially put the value of Savile’s estate at around £4 million, but Mr Justice Sales said the current value was about £3.3m.

Solicitors representing alleged victims have said that the scheme will not guarantee payouts but will provide a framework within which claims can be analysed.

Savile, who worked at the BBC, has been accused of being a serial child abuser and sex offender over a 60-year period.

In January 2013, a Metropolitan Police report said Savile had been a “prolific, predatory sex offender” who was able to “hide in plain sight” while abusing his victims.

A second report said he could have been prosecuted in 2009 if victims had been taken more seriously.

The NHS is investigating 33 hospitals’ links with Savile.

Lawyers have said they think the vast majority of alleged victims have already emerged.