FORMER TV star John Leslie today spoke of his excitement at being given his own show on network radio.
The one-time Blue Peter presenter has been chosen as the new voice of the Saturday Show on the Greatest Hits network of local stations, which includes Forth 2.
The 49-year-old Edinburgh-born presenter will take to the airwaves in his new role for the first time tomorrow.
He hosted a number of successful programmes for the network at the end of last year, including high-profile specials on Christmas Day and Boxing Day,
Leslie said: “I’m absolutely delighted and looking forward to presenting regularly on the Greatest Hits Network, starting this Saturday.
“I thoroughly enjoyed the shows back in December and was given a great welcome
by station staff and listeners alike.
“My aim is to complement and add to the terrific content and listener engagement which already runs throughout the Greatest Hits Network and I simply can’t wait to get started.”
His new regular 10am-2pm slot will feature a mixture of classic hits, celebrity interviews and quirky competitions.
Leslie joins presenters including Robin Galloway, Ally Bally, Gina McKie, Lorraine Kelly and Ross King on the network of stations owned by Bauer Media Scotland. Graham Bryce, group managing director for Bauer in Scotland and Northern England, said: “Following the success of the high-profile shows John hosted for us at the end of the year, from which we enjoyed very positive listener feedback, we’re really pleased he’s agreed to present for us on a regular basis.
“It is a further statement of intent for our Greatest Hits Network, with John adding to an already strong line-up featuring some of the very best in the industry.”
Leslie recently starred as the flagship presenter on Castle FM, in good-natured competition with his brother Grant Stott on Forth.
Leslie became the first Scottish presenter on Blue Peter when he joined the children’s TV show in 1989. He later went on to present the gameshow Wheel of Fortune and ITV’s This Morning.
But his career collapsed in 2002 after he was identified as the unnamed presenter whom Ulrika Jonsson said in her autobiography had attacked her. She has never named him.
In 2003, he was accused of indecently assaulting a 23-year-old actress six years earlier, but he was cleared of all charges.
Leslie sold his London house and moved back to Edinburgh.