PRINCES MALL now stands where the subterranean Waverley Market once stood.
It is located at the east end of Princes Street in the city centre, next to Edinburgh Waverley Railway station.
Built in 1872 it served as a livestock market and exhibition space.
The glass-roofed structure was demolished in the 1970s with the Princes Mall shopping complex opening in its place in 1985.
Like its predecessor, the Princes Mall was primarily built underground to preserve the views of Edinburgh Castle and Old Town .