Man and boy in hospital after Edinburgh fire

Six fire engines and three specialist appliances were called upon to tackle the blaze. Picture: Tony Marsh
Six fire engines and three specialist appliances were called upon to tackle the blaze. Picture: Tony Marsh
0
Have your say

A man and an 11-year-old boy have been taken to hospital after a candle left on top of plastic drawers sparked a flat fire.

Emergency services were called to the blaze in a second floor tenement flat in Craigentinny Road, Edinburgh, at 3.10am today.

A man, aged 42, a woman, aged 44, and the 11-year-old boy were led from the property and given oxygen by firefighters until paramedics arrived at the scene.

The man and the boy were then taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary and treated for smoke inhalation.

A spokeswoman for the fire service said the fire started with a candle left on a set of plastic drawers in a bedroom.

The flat was fitted with a smoke alarm but it failed to activate and the occupants had to call the fire service.

The spokewoman said officers fitted a new smoke alarm after extinguishing the fire this morning.