A MAN and a woman have been rescued by fire crews following a blaze at a block of flats.
The fire broke out at about 5am in a common stairwell of the building in Albert Street in Leith.
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said three fire engines and one height appliance from McDonald Road, Marionville and Tollcross attended the scene.
A spokesman said: “Fire control gave fire survival guidance to the residents until the arrival of the appliances.
“Fire crews rescued an adult male and an adult female from two flats within the stairwell.
“They were treated on the scene by ambulance crews as they were suffering smoke inhalation. They didn’t go to hospital.
“Fire crews searched and made contact with other residents within the stair for reassurance.”
The fire service used breathing equipment and two high-pressure hosereels to put out the ground-floor blaze.