Man in court on Muirhouse ‘explosives’ charge

200 people were evacuated from their homes on Friday evening. Picture: TSPL
200 people were evacuated from their homes on Friday evening. Picture: TSPL
0
Have your say

A MAN was due to appear in court today over an incident which saw over 200 people evacuated from their homes in Muirhouse in a late-night bomb scare.

Police said following an examination of a property at Fidra Court, on Friday a 61-year-old man had been arrested and charged under the Explosive Substances Act.

Residents from the 14-storey block were evacuated to Ainslie Park leisure centre and did not return to their homes until 3am on Saturday.

Chief Inspector Sara Buchanan from Police Scotland said: “Keeping people safe is of paramount importance to Police Scotland.

“We are still in the early stages of our inquiry and I’d like to thank the public for their patience, particularly those who were evacuated at Fidra Court, while we worked to establish the circumstances of this incident.”