Man in hospital after West Nicolson Street fire

0
Have your say

A RESTAURANT worker has been taken to hospital after a fire broke out at Dhaba’s Diner on West Nicolson Street.

It is understood that a grease pot caught fire at around 1.10pm and was put out using a fire extinguisher by the injured man. He was taken to hospital after suffering burns to his right arm.

Firefighters got the call around 1.08pm.  Picture: Tony Marsh

Firefighters got the call around 1.08pm. Picture: Tony Marsh

Police cordened off the road at the junction with Nicolson Street and The Blind Poet pub next door was also evacuated when smoke was seen rising up a communal stairwell.

Musician Pete Saunders, 50, was in the Blind Poet when the fire broke out performing a technical rehearsal for his Fringe show Blues and Burlesque.

The 50-year-old, who is from London, said: “It was about 1.15pm and we were just getting everything hooked up when we heard some kerfuffle and saw smoke coming up the stairs. The bar manager told us all to evacuate. When we were outside I saw a man being given oxygen while they were putting him into an ambulance. He had bandages all up his right arm. I overheard a lady from the Dhaba Diner saying he had gotten burned putting the fire out and saying he was a hero for doing it.”

He added: “It’s very sad that someone was hurt but thankfully everything seems to be under control now.”

The manager of The Blind Poet, George Fyvie, said he understood the neighbouring property had suffered minimal damage in the fire.

The 37-year-old added: “(He) put the fire out before it could really take hold, but it does look like he was injured in the process. The Dhaba Diner kitchen is under our building but thankfully only a little bit of smoke made it’s way up. Obviously we evacuated just to be on the safe side.”

The ambulance service confirmed a man had been taken to hospital with burns. The street was reopened just after 2pm.