Man pulled from shed after suspected explosion

Extra firefighters were called to the scene. Pic: file

Extra firefighters were called to the scene. Pic: file

0
Have your say

A MAN has been rushed to hospital with burns after trying to put out a massive barn fire himself.

The man, believed to be in his 20s and the son of the farm owner, was taken to hospital following the drama.

Fire crews remained on the scene this morning at Wellingtonia in Carberry, near Musselburgh, after a lengthy battle to bring a fierce blaze under control.

The shed – often used by farm owner Alan Weare to store the pheasants and grouse he rears but not containing birds at the time – caught fire at about 3.30pm yesterday.

The injured man was treated by paramedics before being taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

Firefighters initially struggled to establish a water supply, but later used a connection from the nearby Carberry Tower Hotel.

They also set up a temporary welfare tent in the grounds of the venue.

The track leading up to the farm was cordoned off for several hours while crews worked to control the fire and make the surrounding area safe.

As work continued into the night, Scottish Fire and Rescue Service incident commander Garry MacKay said it was not yet clear whether there had been an explosion or if there was another cause behind the fire.

He said that after the casualty was evacuated, the crews had to focus on gaining safe access and getting a good water supply.

He added: “The ambulance service was here very quickly. We had reports of an explosion in the initial phase but we don’t have that confirmed. It is a timber structure with a steel roof.

“The fire took hold of the timber and made it unsafe for us to put firefighters in.

“As we moved into the night the focus was on the welfare of our crews.”

The bird shed, roughly 50 metres by 50 metres in size, was completely destroyed in the blaze.

Mr MacKay said the fire had been “really significant” at its height, but as darkness fell the response was scaled down and crews concentrated on extinguishing the remnants of the fire.

A nearby resident said he had heard reports of a “big bang” before the fire broke out.

He said he thought the injured man had been “moving hay” in the lead-up to the incident.

The neighbour added that there had been a fire at the farm around 15 years ago.

Meanwhile, a two-year-old boy, a 40-year-old woman and a 65-year-old man were evacuated after a kitchen fire at a house in Royston Mains Road yesterday.

Two fire engines from Crewe Toll were called to the property at about 5.50pm.

Firefighters used two breathing apparatus and one hose reel to extinguish the blaze.

The three occupants were led to safety and checked over by paramedics, but were not taken to hospital.