Man saved from Edinburgh kitchen fire

The man was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Picture: Jon Savage
The man was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary. Picture: Jon Savage
0
Have your say

A man has been rescued from a house after a kitchen fire.

Emergency services were called to the property in Gilmerton Dykes Avenue in Edinburgh at around 7.43pm last night.

The two-storey house was “heavily smoke-logged” due to a pan of food that had been left unattended, firefighters said.

The 59-year-old man was rescued from an upstairs bedroom and was said to be suffering from smoke inhalation.

He was treated by ambulance staff at the scene and taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

A spokeswoman for the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said: “A neighbour was alerted by the smoke detector actuating in the property and called us immediately.

“The smoke detector provided the vital early warning to the fire and allowed us to get to the scene quickly.

“We cannot emphasis enough how important having a smoke detector in your household is.”