Mortonhall ashes report to be public next week

The report will be published next Wednesday. Pic: Phil Wilkinson
The report will be published next Wednesday. Pic: Phil Wilkinson
0
Have your say

A REPORT into the babies’ ashes scandal at Mortonhall Crematorium will be made public next Wednesday, it has emerged.

Parents affected by the scandal today expressed anger after learning the dossier - compiled by former Lord Advocate Dame Elish Angiolini - had been delivered to Edinburgh City Council chief executive Sue Bruce one week ago.

The Evening News first told in December 2012 how bereaved parents had been denied access to the ashes of cremated children, which were instead buried in a garden of remembrance. It is thought the practice was carried out from 1967 until 2011.

Mrs Bruce has now written to parents explaining that data protection issues meant she had to read the “lengthy and wide ranging” report “thoroughly”.

She said: “It was also important that the council considered issues around the protection of sensitive personal data prior to publication. Due to the length of the report, we expect to publish it on Wednesday, April 30, with parents receiving a personal copy that morning, ahead of wider publication. I intend to write to parents personally tomorrow to advise them of this. I understand how anxious they are to receive the report and hope this timescale will reassure them.”