Shirts neatly ironed, hats carefully positioned, they posed for a photograph with friends ahead of the Whitburn Gala in July 1963.
It was likely a proud moment for the local Boys’ Brigade – as well as their families – as they prepared to celebrate their community on a day filled with music, dance and song.
This picture, above, will bring back many happy memories for the former BBs in it, especially as the youth organisation celebrates its 130th anniversary this week.
As groups across the world mark the occasion, on Scottish soil they are particularly proud as the Boys’ Brigade was founded in Glasgow. Nowadays, it has tens of thousands of members across the globe.
Combining drills with sport and outdoor activities, the Boys’ Brigade was founded on October 4, 1883 by Sir William Alexander Smith, a Sunday School teacher from Thurso.
As these pictures show, boys across the Lothians have revelled in their commitment to the BB, proudly taking part in many activities and gatherings. Such was the case in 1964 when the Edinburgh Boys’ Brigade, pictured here, gathered at Glenogle Baths in Stockbridge for their annual swimming gala.
That same year, the 8th Leith Company helped commemorate the centenary of the Pilrig-Dalmeny Street Church by putting on a production of BB Call. They are pictured here during a rehearsal in the church hall.
And in May 1966, there was no prouder a moment for the Boys’ Brigade guard of honour at St Giles’ Cathedral as they took part in the opening of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland.