A New choir was born in the Capital this week when the Edinburgh Garrison ladies, based at Redford Barracks, followed in the footsteps of the renowned military wives of Catterick by setting up their own group.
The ladies were given a few top tips by members of the original choir, but should they need any further inspiration they need only look to the history books. The Capital has a long and distinguished history of choirs, including the huge Mary Erskine School for Girls Choir which packed the stage at the Usher Hall in 1957.
A rather smaller group was the Edinburgh Children’s Gaelic Choir, who nevertheless did the city proud when they performed at the Gaelic MOD held in the Capital in 1960.
While youngsters might think that Glee clubs are a modern phenomenon, Edinburgh University had its very own back in 1969, which performed at the unusual venue of Edinburgh Zoo’s penguin enclosure, to the delight of its occupants.
The city was also home to the Newhaven Fisherwomen’s Choir, who travelled to Norway in 1961 for the National Fisheries Fair.