Nostalgia: Dalkeith through the ages

The town centre in Dalkeith, Midlothian, July 1965
The town centre in Dalkeith, Midlothian, July 1965
0
Have your say

For residents and visitors to Dalkeith it was an icon of the town’s railway station for nearly 100 years.

And now, after a 74-year absence, the famous brass bell that once rang proudly through the terminal has been tracked down – thanks to the detective work of the Dalkeith History Society.

Shopping Centre Dalkeith

Shopping Centre Dalkeith

The Evening News told the story this week of the bell, which was removed from the station after its closure in 1942 and was never to be seen or heard of again in Midlothian.

Brian Scott, secretary of the society, said he was “thrilled” that the 19th century bell would be back to mark the opening of the Dalkeith Town Museum.

Earlier this year, the Rotary Club of Dalkeith began to assist the history society in retrieving the bell and was joined in its efforts by the Scottish Government and Colin Beattie MSP.

The removal of the bell – and the closure of the train station – is one of many changes the Midlothian town has witnessed throughout the decades.

Mrs Reid & her two daughters Sally & Carol collecting signatures for petition protesting against 40mph speed limit on the Dalkeith to Lauder Road.

Mrs Reid & her two daughters Sally & Carol collecting signatures for petition protesting against 40mph speed limit on the Dalkeith to Lauder Road.

Looking at our picture of the town centre back in July 1965, many of the shops will be long-forgotten by some locals.

The cars and the fashions of the day will bring back many fond memories for others, however.

As will our picture of the shopping centre in the same year, with the Ministry of Labour and Wights Fashions signs clearly visible.

Dalkeith Shopping Centre feature - Shops in the courtyard

Dalkeith Shopping Centre feature - Shops in the courtyard