IT is renowned in its homeland for an ability to cure ailments from baldness to mental illness, but the Tree of Heaven at the Botanic Garden has been sadly unable to turn over a new leaf after last winter’s storms.
The Ailanthus altissima was brought to Scotland in 1925 by collector Joseph Rock and had thrived at the Botanics until just six months ago.
Experts are now facing a losing battle as they try to salvage their prized specimen following wind damage.
Trees have made headlines many times over the years in the Capital. In March 1967, three cars parked outside government buildings in Broomhouse Drive received a crushing blow from a fallen tree.
Residents of Corstorphine reacted with sadness in May 1955 when it was revealed the 300-year-old Smiddy Oak in St John’s Road would have to be chopped down after becoming riddled with
Royal trees have also found a home in the Capital. However, one planted in memory of Mary, Queen of Scots in 1938 was later removed to make space for the new Edinburgh Royal Infirmary at Little France.
A landmark tree also takes pride of place at the junction of Colinton Road and Redford Road. It is an offshoot of the original Sixpenny Tree, so-called because it marks the place where the Papermakers Guild paid their 6d
Gale-force winds did, however, wreak havoc in 1956 when a 50ft tree fell, blocking Craiglockhart Road. Reinforcements soon arrived to chop it up.
Wild weather in March 1977 also resulted in a tree being blown over in Bruntsfield Links.