Nostalgia: Stars in their eyes at Royal Bank

Sir Michael Herries, chairman of the Royal Bank of Scotland, admires the newly-refurbished banking hall at the St Andrew Square building in March 1990. Picture: Alan Macdonald
Sir Michael Herries, chairman of the Royal Bank of Scotland, admires the newly-refurbished banking hall at the St Andrew Square building in March 1990. Picture: Alan Macdonald
0
Have your say

IT has stood at the heart of the city for hundreds of years, but now Dundas House has been given a dramatic makeover – turning the former mansion into a technological paradise fit for banking in the 21st century.

The grand architectural masterpiece in St Andrew Square has been home to the Royal Bank of Scotland since 1835.

Mr FGL Whalley operates the electronic automated coin-counting machine at the Royal Bank of Scotland headquarters in St Andrew Square in 1964.

Mr FGL Whalley operates the electronic automated coin-counting machine at the Royal Bank of Scotland headquarters in St Andrew Square in 1964.

After initially starting life in the mid-18th century as a townhouse for a wealthy city merchant, Sir Lawrence Dundas, the building became the principal office of the Excise in Scotland. In 1835, it was acquired by the Royal Bank of Scotland, which already owned the neighbouring building, 35 St Andrew Square – which is soon set to become serviced apartments having for a spell been the base for Ukio Bankas, the company owned by ex-Hearts chief Vladimir Romanov.

Since then, 36 St Andrew Square has provided banking services to Edinburgh residents, while also acting as the Royal Bank of Scotland’s headquarters.

It was previously refurbished in 1990 and visited in March of that year by RBS chairman Sir Michael Herries.

A gathering in November 1965 brought together luminaries such as the Duke of Buccleuch and Lord Nelson of Stafford.

Dundas House in St Andrews Square

Dundas House in St Andrews Square

With its technological offering now, there’s no need for the electronic coin-counting machine it boasted in 1964.

Opening of the Computer Centre at the Royal Bank of Scotland St Andrew Square. LtoR Mr J O Blaircunynghame, Chairman, L P Weatherstone, Lord Nelson of Stafford, Duke of Buccleuch and Queensferry and Earl of Crawford and Balcarres.

Opening of the Computer Centre at the Royal Bank of Scotland St Andrew Square. LtoR Mr J O Blaircunynghame, Chairman, L P Weatherstone, Lord Nelson of Stafford, Duke of Buccleuch and Queensferry and Earl of Crawford and Balcarres.