THE clocks of the Capital have changed over time, not least the once-prominent Chancelot Mill clock tower which stood over Leith, an unmissable reminder to children playing in surrounding streets and parks that it was time to run home for tea. A gaunt outline was all that remained in 1972 as it was torn down.
One town’s clock has been in the news this week, as confusion ticks away over who owns the timepiece which was displayed on Portobello Baptist Church until 2003. It was taken down by the council for repairs, but never reinstated.
Time was a clock stood proudly at the west end of Princes Street, but it was moved to the Leith Walk roundabout in 1959.
One of the most renowned public clocks in the Capital is the Hearts war memorial at Haymarket, seen here having part of its stonework lifted back into place in 1972 after it was dismantled while a one-way traffic system was set up. The monument was again removed in 2009 to make way for tram works and is not due to return until next year.
The Capital’s clock tally struck 33 in 1962 when whisky firm Arthur Bell & Son presented one to the city. It was placed opposite the Usher Hall.
Princes Street Garden’s floral clock often makes pedestrians stop in their tracks, such as when it celebrated its Golden Jubilee in 1954.