OAP reveals terror after building fire

0
Have your say

A PENSIONER told today how she and her three-year-old granddaughter had to be plucked to safety from the top floor of a burning building.

Roslin Reid, 65, was babysitting Heidi Kurys when fire broke out in a flat below, quickly filling the building with smoke.

With their escape route blocked, Mrs Reid and Heidi had to wait for firefighters to rescue them 50 feet above the street.

The fire started in the city’s Buckingham Terrace at about 10.30pm on Tuesday.

Mrs Reid said she only realised there was a crisis when she saw flashing lights outside a window, but initially thought it was police dealing with a fight in the street.

She said: “I opened the door and got the shock of my life. There was this wall of smoke which went into the flat.”

“I was absolutely terrified, I thought we weren’t going to be able to get out.”

The duo were taken to hospital and tested for carbon monoxide inhalation, but were both released later that night.