Obituary: Jeremy Salvesen, entrepreneur, 51

Have your say

Jeremy Salvesen, entrepreneur and adventurer, has died, aged 51.

Jeremy John Russell Salvesen was born on February 26, 1963, in Kelso, the great-great-grandson of 19th-century Norwegian immigrant Christian Salvesen, the man behind the Salvesen shipping, whaling and road transport conglomerate.

Jeremy first attended Cargilfield School in Barnton, before going on to Haileybury College, a boarding school in Hertfordshire and then the Royal Agricultural College in Cirencester.

He qualified as a chartered surveyor and began work with Savills estate agents in Brechin, but later set up Tantallon International, an investment company based in Edinburgh’s Rothesay Terrace.

He became managing director of the struggling Duncan’s chocolate company and in 2000 branched out to create Groovy Chocolate, an online store selling personalised confectionery gifts.

He was a founding investor in the London-based Edinburgh Financial Publishing Group and also invested in Hamilton & Inches jewellers, Bruichladdich malt whisky distillery on Islay and latterly Borders-based Spark Energy and a major commercial and leisure property development in Brazil.

He was also heavily involved in charities and mentored young business people through the Prince’s Trust.

Mr Salvesen was in his early 40s when he learned to sail at Port Edgar, near South Queensferry. He bought a 40ft ocean-going yacht called Mowgli, named after the Jungle Book character, and entered the 2008/9 inaugural round-the-world Portimão Global Ocean Race, an eight-month, 30,000-mile adventure, taking in South Africa, New Zealand, Brazil and the US.

Sailing with his friend and boat manager David Thomson, he finished third in the double-handed class, but the pair endured horrendous conditions, including a hurricane on Christmas Eve, 2008, in which they thought they were going to die. He vowed never to sail competitively again, to avoid causing more anguish to his family.

He lived for a time in Heriot Row in the New Town, but later settled in Elie, Fife.

He died on April 10, after falling while skiing with family and friends in the French Alps. He hit his head on a rock and was flown to hospital in nearby Annecy, where he was pronounced dead from “catastrophic” head injuries.

In a statement, the family said: “We all take comfort from knowing that he was doing something he loved with a big smile on his face. As always, Jeremy was pushing himself to the limit. His life has been a wonderful adventure and we treasure all our memories of him.

He is survived by his partner Jacqueline, his sons Oliver, Raleigh and Toby, his daughter Tessa, his mother Alison, brothers Michael and Nigel and sisters Penny and Rachel.