Talk of the Town: Making room for the nativity scene

0
Have your say

WE all know the story of how Mary and Joseph were told there was no room at the inn.

That shouldn’t be a problem this year, with Travelodge set to offer couples called Mary and Joseph – and anyone called Jesus – a free night’s stay at one of its hotels.

The hotel chain says the “gift” of a free night’s stay is to make up for the hotel industry not having any rooms left at the inn on Christmas Eve more than 2000 years ago.

Today’s Mary and Joseph will stay in a family room, which can also cater for a baby and a manger, while a double room will be available for Jesus.

The free room will be available from Christmas Eve till Twelfth Night – Friday, January 6.

Ad rather takes shine off Capital’s promotion

THE Edinburgh Sparkles campaign aimed at bringing festive shoppers and revellers to the Capital was launched with much aplomb.

So it seems strange to have a huge advert for our friends in the west welcoming people to the city.

A massive poster for glasgowloveschristmas.com has been put up in Waverley station and greets travellers as they make their way through the barriers to Edinburgh.

We just hope there’s a counterpart promoting the Capital in Queen Street.

Be a diamond(ish) geezer

WHILE Edinburgh Sparkles, Capital gents might care to be reminded that when it comes to gifts, local ladies also prefer the kind that shine.

A new survey found that 45 per cent of Edinburgh women are distracted by jewellery stands while shopping – and some might feel the other 55 per cent aren’t being entirely honest.

Perhaps the best news in the survey from a simulated diamond firm is that 58 per cent of women said it didn’t matter whether a diamond was real or replica.

And since 73 per cent of women couldn’t tell the difference, a bit of bling in the stocking might be a more affordable possibility this year.

Tartan temptation

AND finally, for anyone looking to celebrate St Andrew’s Day in style, a local bakery has come up with the perfect treat.

Cuckoo’s Bakery has created a special St Andrew’s Day cupcake, and the patriotic treat is certainly designed for tartan tastebuds. The Caramel Shortbread-flavour cake, complete with a caramel drizzle, and finished with a Scottish flag, is just £2.30.