Pan danger is flagged up by fire service

0
Have your say

FIRE crews have issued a warning about leaving pots unattended in the kitchen after being called out to two incidents in the Capital.

Several people were treated for smoke inhalation after blazes broke out at properties in Hailesland Grove and Lasswade Road over the weekend. The Scottish Fire Service said it was easy to get distracted while cooking and urged residents to be more vigilant.

Group manager for prevention and protection Alex Smart said: “Many kitchen fires happen when people are not paying attention or they leave things unattended but there are several things you can do to prevent fires in the kitchen.

“Don’t leave pans unattended. Take them off the heat if you have to leave the room. Fire starts when your attention stops. When you have finished cooking, make sure the cooker or oven is turned off.

“The kitchen can be the most dangerous place in the home. Fire can cause damage not just to your property, but to family and loved ones too.”

Smoke detectors can be fitted for free by calling 0800 0731 999 or texting “check” to 61611.