Pensioner in blanket fire

0
Have your say

An elderly woman had to be treated by paramedics after her electric blanket caught fire as she lay in bed.

Firefighters were called to a top floor flat in Strathearn Road, Marchmont, after the pensioner, believed to be in her eighties, woke to find her bed ablaze.

Seventeen firefighters attended the incident and two breathing apparatus and a high pressure hose reel were required.

The woman had wakened to find the fire but extinguished it before the fire service attended.

She was treated by the Scottish Ambulance Service for smoke inhalation at the scene.