Pilton takeaway stab victim out intensive care

Jie Yu. Picture: Greg Macvean
Jie Yu. Picture: Greg Macvean
0
Have your say

A FATHER-of-three who was stabbed repeatedly in a suspected hate crime is showing signs of recovery.

Jie Yu was attacked on West Pilton Park shortly after his car was stolen from outside his nearby Chinese takeaway, Peking Garden.

Today a close family friend revealed that Mr Yu was ­conscious and had managed to write down what he remembered of the assault.

The friend, who asked not to be named, said the 37-year-old was no longer in intensive care and was awaiting a second operation. Mr Yu, whose wife Mae has been at his bedside, is not able to speak yet but his family are relieved that he is making progress.

An 18-year-old has been arrested and charged with attempted murder and is due to appear at Edinburgh Sheriff Court on Monday.

Officers are still “relentlessly pursuing” the other men involved in the vicious stabbing, which they say may have been racially motivated.

Yesterday, officers scoured the area around West Pilton Park and West Pilton Grove, searching bins and undergrowth for clues. Mr Yu’s blood-stained car had been taken away from the scene, which was still sealed off with tape and guarded by officers.

As police carried out door-to-door inquiries, one local businessman said he was concerned the area would become a “ghost city” if tougher action was not taken.

Moses Salako, who has run the MBS Food general store on Ferry Road Drive for four years, said: “People have burgled me before and they attacked me. My daughter was going to her friend’s house, and they attacked her and wanted to steal her mobile phone. It’s racially motivated. That’s what we’re facing here.”

Police continued high-
visibility patrols in the area. However, one resident said it was “too little too late”.

She said: “Every night they are stealing motorbikes and cars, running riot. This used to be a lovely place. Not now.”

Residents will gather for talks next week about what can be done to stem concerns about youth crime in the area.

The meeting, which was organised prior to Wednesday night’s incident, will be attended by police.

One local said: “If we don’t get what we want at the meeting then we are going to take it to a protest. They have taken control of the community, it’s time for us to take it back.”

Inspector David Happs said: “Information received to date has made a huge difference and every little bit helps us to build a picture of exactly what happened. Police Scotland won’t tolerate hate crime and with the help of the public we can bring those responsible to justice.”

kaye.nicolson@edinburghnews.com