Police name woman killed in gas explosion

Lynsey Kane died at St John's Hospital

Lynsey Kane died at St John's Hospital

0
Have your say

POLICE have named a woman who died a gas explosion in Pilrig as Caroline Lynsey Kyle from West Lothian.

The 26-year-old died four days after suffering severe burns in a blast understood to have sparked when aersol fumes were ignited by a lit cigarette or cooker.

Ms Kyle, whose mother was also injured in Dryden Street explosion last Wednesday, was from Granby Avenue in Livingston. She died at St John’s Hospital on Monday evening.

A baby girl who was in the house at the time escaped without injury and is currently being cared for by relatives.

The tragedy marks the third fire fatality inside a week and has prompted fire chiefs to renew calls for better public awareness about fire safety.

Investigations are being carried out into all three blazes but it is understood there are no suspicious circumstances surrounding any of them.

The news comes after a woman died in a “fierce fire” in a four-storey block of flats in Dundee Terrace, and Steven Nicolson, 44, died in a fire that hit a building at Powderhall Rigg in Broughton – both last Wednesday.

The fire which led to the latest fatality occurred in the third-floor of a building run by Hillcrest Group, a housing association firm.

Company chief executive John Mulloy said: “Our thoughts are with the family of the young woman who died in this tragic incident.

“Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the fire at our property in Dryden Street, so we are unable to make any further comment at this time.”

A report into the latest death will be submitted to the procurator fiscal.

Steve Harkins, community safety manager at Lothian and Borders Fire and Rescue Service, said three fire deaths in such a short period were “unusual” but stressed that none was linked.

He said: “It is quite tragic that in the space of a few days we have recorded three deaths at three separate scenes. But it’s a reminder that fire can strike at any time and the results can be fatal.

“Smoke can overcome a person in minutes. That is why we dedicate so much time to our community safety work, highlighting to the public the need for fire safety awareness, giving advice on how you can reduce the risks of a fire in the home and also stressing the absolute importance of having a working smoke detector in your home. If you live in our service area, you can arrange a free home safety visit with firefighters and the fitting of free smoke alarms as required by calling 0800 169 0320.”