EDINBURGH-BORN screen legend Sir Sean Connery has been told by police they believe he has been a victim of phone hacking.
The former James Bond star, now 81, was told he had been hacked about 10 times, making him one of the highest profile victims so far in the hacking scandal.
It is understood his name appears in the records of Glenn Mulcaire, the private detective who worked for the News of the World.
Sir Sean’s close friend and biographer Murray Grigor, who spoke to the Hollywood actor in Switzerland yesterday, said: “Apparently there were 10 instances. The police were quite excited about it but he doesn’t want to know. He doesn’t want anything to do with it. He’s just having a good time and he just shrugged it off.”
News of Sir Sean’s hacking is likely to increase pressure on First Minister Alex Salmond to confirm or deny whether he too was a hacking victim.
He has so far refused to say whether or not he believes his phone was hacked, despite repeated questioning in the Scottish Parliament and said he will only answer questions at the Leveson inquiry, where he is due to appear on June 13.